Monday, October 29, 2012

Rhetty is 4!

This little squirt of mine is 4. Wow!It is as hard to write that as it was putting 4 whole candles in his birthday cake. Can you believe it Porter!?!

Rhett loooves to hear the story about his birth (although he still can't get his head around that we didn't go to the hospital and simply pick out a baby). But I love retelling the story to him too. Not that it is anything hugely eventful (thank God), but it was such a sweet time in our lives,  welcoming our first child that October ( See Rhett's Birth  here).

 
Four years on this earth and we still haven't shaken our trash truck obsession.  So consequently, the recycle truck took center stage for  his fourth birthday party.

 
 When asked about his favorite part of the party- it was the pin the trash can (tail) on the trash truck (donkey). He was so flattered about his face being on that truck and about explaining where precisely his friends should aim their targets. We either have a future engineer in the family or sanitation worker :)







A few fun facts about my favoite 4 year old : Rhett has grown leap years in the past year. Three inches and 1 pound. That was his growth tally according to his teacher at the end of last school year... And evidenced by the picture of that string bean in his very first swim class this summer.

He is so inquisitive. From the time he wakes up to the time he goes down every question bears another question (sheesh!). On the way home from school the other day, Nina was singing London Bridges (on reapeat), Rhett chimed in : "Were the bridges brown or black? Were they train bridges or car bridges? Why did they fall down? Why did they lock her up?" He tells time via "days." "Is it morning day yet? Is it nap day yet? Is it Daddy-go-to-work day?"

Getting ready for school on his birthday

He thrives at school. I think we hit it out of the ballpark with his 3 year old teacher.
Miss Dallas putting his birthday hat on for the day
And while most kids have imaginery friends, Rhett has imagninery kids. Henry, Luke, and Egwitz. Although I haven't heard about Egwitz in a while. These are his kids, although they have a seperate mom and dad? Mostly I think he lives vicariously through them when things aren't quite going his way. "Well Henry and Luke get to eat candy corn for their breakfast!" "My kid Luke, you know his Mom and Dad let him watch cartoons for LOTS of times!" "My kid Henry always wanted a horsey and he is going to get one for his birthday!" Nice coping mechanism for a 4 year old.

Rhett is also the whistle blower of the family. He'll freak out if we acciently move 2 inches out of the driveway without all seat belt harnesses in place. He insists we stop and pray at the sound of a an ambulance, hold hands in the parking lot, and helmets, helmets people!

He often asks his mom (sweet)  if she will leave her hair down- because  he likes it " long and brown." The other day I was helping him cleanup after his bath and he looked up at me and asked "Will you always be my mommy?" After I wrung out my heart, I told him yes.
Happy 4th Rhett head!


1 comment:

Emily Cox said...

Oh how I do love your posts!!! It is hard to believe
that Rhett is 4. What a great age....of course I think
there is something great about every age and stage.
Just keep writing about all of them. You'd be amazed
how quickly your memory goes (especially after your third child).
Can't wait to see you all at Thanksgiving! I am counting the days....love to you all, Emily