Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Prodigal Dog

For as long as we have had Sam, he has loved to escape at the crack of the door or fence, for that matter. He runs away, up and down the neighborhood, dodging people, and miraculously, other cars. When he does this, it makes me nervous, frustrated, and down right annoyed! I yell from blocks down, threaten him, point my finger, and try my luck at whistling while waving whatever we have in the fridge to get his hiney home. I'll even call Porter- for what reason I don't know, he works 25 miles away. But the more I chase and threaten our dog, the further he runs; so my resolve is to go inside- let him figure it out and hope that luck is on his side and he gets home
safely.
(Sam returning from a recent escapade)

Rhett, on the other hand- does not respond the way I do. If Sam gets out, Rhett calls his name at the top of his little lungs, paces up and down the yard, and REFUSES to go inside the house until Sam is safely back. And when our dog does return, Rhett usually quips with "Silly Sam," and greets with him with a big hug. You can no doubt see sigh of relief that comes over my little boy.

When this happened the other day, the story of the Prodigal Son hit me like a ton of bricks. Luke Chapter 15. God is not inconvenienced or put out with us when we go about our own way - but patiently waits and absolutely rejoices when we repent and return to him.

Love having to take a Goldy cue from my 2 year old-

No comments: